December 8, 2010

(Cooking) No Recipes!!

So JT sorta bullied me to try to stop using recipes all the time, and/or specific amounts of ingredients.  Like most things with him, I have fought him hard against it, but I alway relent, it's just a matter of time.  And he would want me to tell you that he is (almost) always right.  Recently, I've created a few good things, but tend to at least look stuff up for a general framework, and then wing it. Tonight, I made up my own pasta recipe.  It was not tremendously difficult, but it was tremendously yummy, and very helpful to my mental state of mind.  It was very nice to come home and actually force my mind to think about cooking, instead of focusing on the strain of the day.  You might find some of the items to be similar, but I literally threw this together from what was around, and a strained brain.

And all without any recipe, or ingredient list:

Marti's Salmon Pasta inspired by JT's rule of no-recipes:
Pasta (penne)
Salmon (1-serving size)
Onion, chopped
scallions, chopped (including part of the greens)
chives, chopped
capers
garlic
pistachios
red pepper flakes
salt
pepper
parmesan cheese
Olive oil

Cook pasta
Season fish with salt, pepper, chives
In saute pan, pour some olive oil and a little bit of garlic, cook fish until it begins to break apart.  Break into bite size/small pieces.  Add onions and saute.  Add the white part of the chopped scallions, and a little bit more garlic, and red pepper flakes.  Saute.  Add additional olive oil (enough to ensure pasta will be coated).  Add capers and more salt and pepper, to taste, if necessary.  Add some of the green part of the chopped scallions, and saute. Add pistachios.
Drain pasta when cooked, and then pour salmon mixture over top, and toss pasta
Shred some parmesan cheese, and drop a few green scallion pieces to garnish.
Serve!

This is one of those things I would have never whipped up or tried a year ago......and tonight it was super yum, and a very necessary distraction.  All thanks to my man, JT.  I'm open to any and all suggestions for the next time I make this one!

3 comments:

  1. you are going to think i am silly, but i am wicked happy you are blogging about your cooking! and i promise, when CIW is over, i will contribute. i have been thinking about writing up some comic books. and also, some food. but i am stuck in turkey mode, so it might be a bit.

    oh, and this looks (and sounds) awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can we get a section somewhere where we request things of JT to teach us(or just make for us and have us over to eat)? If so, I nominate his jambalaya. I have been having a serious hankering for it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eric-this is welcome feedback, and I have incorporated it above, to the right. Let's see how JT responds, via posts. I'll keep updating that space with any comments I get. I might find a more interactive feature in the future, but this will hopefully work for now. Thanks! It's fun to "find" you here!!

    ReplyDelete