January 9, 2011

JT/Marti Iron Chefx12

JT accepted my challenge for a cooking adventure.....I bring the random ingredients, he creates something.  Here are my ingredients.....with some input from Will/Nathan:

Fresh Squid
Fresh Shrimp
Seitan
Russian Fingerling Potatoes
Swiss Chard
Gruyere Cheese
Sweet Onion
Tomatillo
Lemon
Lime
Ginger
Garlic

The rules are:
He must use every ingredient at least one time, any way he wants (he seemed slightly flummoxed by a few ingredients......we are lookin at you seitan!)
He can add in any ingredients he wants
He decides to use his own Black Garlic (to substitute out regular garlic), cuz that's how he roles. I approve said act.
And it's important to note that he is cooking 3 items that he's never cooked before (tomatillo, chard, seitan).

WILDCARD:  Fun last minute guests show up with FLOUNDER!  Ylan ends up as sous chef!

Here's how he throws down:

Appetizer:
Salt n Pepper Fried Calamari
From required ingredients:  squid, lemon
Add-ins:  hot peppers, heavy/corse salt, flour, corn starch

FYI-the Calamari is deeeeeelicious and I mean DEEEEEELICCCIOUS, wish you all could have had some.

Next we have black garlic, truffle potatoes.....holy yum!
From required ingredients:  russian fingerling potatoes, onion gruyere cheese, garlic (black), tad of lemon juice
Add-ins:  truffle salt, olive oil

Flounder:
So our wildcards added in flounder which added a wonderful dynamic to the challenge.
Add-ins:  So this had flounder, plus wine, butter, left over seasoning from calamari
From required ingredient:  tomatillo

Finally, the major challenge!  Seitan is up!  Don't hate on it people, JT knows how to make it YUM!
Required ingredients: seitan, shrimp, chard, onion, garlic, ginger, lemon, lime
Add-ins: olive oil

As you may figured out, I am the big winner of this Iron Chef Challenge!!  He did an amazing job, and our last minute guests contributed to an absolutely delicious night of food.  We all left the table inspired to try to cook something, and all amazed by his amazing ability to come up with this meal from a totally random set of ingredients.

Oh yeah, CAPS WIN!

Viola:

3 comments:

  1. I can attest that this dinner was delicious, as purveyor of said wildcard flounder. The fish was incredibly flavorful but still very light and delicate. But I do think my favorite of the night was the calamari because, well, I love me some fried food! I can't wait to "judge" this contest again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What the heck is seitan?

    (I have heard of google, but wanted to express my "what the what?" reaction.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Jaimee-it's like a wheat/gluten type situation. Might not sound delish, but my man JT sure knows how to yum it up.

    ReplyDelete